Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 red bell peppers, finely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 large tomatoes (2 cups when grated)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (1 solidly packed tablespoon when minced)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped (2/3 cup when chopped)
- 1cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2cup brown sugar
- 2teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 -1/4teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/8teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8teaspoon ground black pepper
- Put a very wide-mouthed pot on the stove. This is important, otherwise the mixture won’t boil down very well.
- Cut the tomatoes in half and grate them on a rough grater to remove the skins. You should get about 2 cups grated tomatoes when done. Throw them in a wide mouthed pot with the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to an active simmer and cook until thick and syrupy (about 45 minutes). Let cool to room temperature before using to let the jam thicken and the flavors to meld. Refrigerate, assuming it lasts longer than 1 meal.