Mrs. Krause Plum Pie
- 4 cups Nature’s Partner® Plums
- (1 ½ bags, or 3 lbs), unpeeled, cut into pieces w/pits removed
- 1-1/2 cups sugar or artificial sweetener
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp almond extract
- 2 Tbsp Minute® Tapioca
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 9” Pie Pan, Bread Board, Mixing Bowls, Plastic Wrap and Pastry Brush (for optional topping)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix filling ingredients and set aside.
- In separate bowl, mix flour and salt. Using a fork, stir oil and milk into flour with until mixture is damp.
- Dampen a clean, dry breadboard and cover with plastic wrap.
- Form 1/2 of the crust mixture into a ball and place on the board.
- Cover the top of this crust mixture with another large piece of plastic.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the crust. Reposition the plastic as needed to keep the pin from touching the dough.
- Continue rolling until the dough is slightly larger than the pie plate.
- Remove the top layer of plastic wrap and using the bottom piece of plastic, lift the dough and turn over onto the pie pan.
- Form the remaining dough mixture in a ball and repeat steps 4 through 8. Set aside.
- Place the pie filling into the pan.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the second layer of dough and using the bottom layer of plastic, turn over onto the pan, completely covering the filling.
- Tuck the top and bottom crust together, crimp with fingers or the tines of a fork.
- Prick the top of the crust several times to allow steam to escape.
- Optional Topping: Dip a pastry brush into milk and brush top of pie then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for one hour, remove from oven and cool completely on rack.