Yields: 3 quarts
- 12 cups watermelon cubes
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup lemon juice
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut around the core of the persimmons and slice to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut the bacon strips into thirds, and wrap around the persimmons–there should be just enough to cover the wedge, without much overlap so that they’ll cook evenly. If needed, use toothpicks to hold the bacon in place. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the wrapped persimmons onto a heavy baking sheet with a lip (we don’t want any of that delicious bacon grease escaping!). Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked thoroughly.
To serve, let cool and get out of the way. We made a quick sauce out of a hachiya persimmon, homemade apricot brandy and a little butter, but we found that lemon marmalade also paired well, and just about any sweet chutney could work.
• Prep Time: 10 min(s)
• Total Time: 10 min(s)
• Servings: 6
These simple stuffed cream filled strawberries are easy to make and a crowd favorite, not to mention a great gluten-free dessert.
• 1 lb. fresh strawberries
• 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
• 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
• Optional: 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
1. Cut the stems from the strawberries, so the strawberries can sit cut side down.
2. Cut a deep “X” from the tip down being careful not to cut all the way through.
3. Gently open up the strawberry. Set aside.
4. Cream the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla (and optional lemon zest) until nice and fluffy.
5. Pipe the filling into each strawberry using a pastry bag or a zip top bag with a pasty piping tip. You may also cut the end of a zip top bag to make a free form pastry bag and tip as well.
6. Top each filled strawberry with a blueberry.
7. Chill the strawberries for at least an hour before serving.
6 cups Fresh Baby Spinach
1 cup Fresh Blackberries
1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
1 Green Onion Sliced
2 tablespoons Chopped Walnuts, Toasted (almonds can be substituted)
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
2 ½ teaspoons Honey
1 Garlic Clove, Minced
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
¼ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Pepper
2/3 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese (optional)
1. In large bowl, combine spinach, blackberries, tomatoes, onions and walnuts.
2. In a small bowl whisk the rest of the ingredients, except feta. Drizzle over salad and toss
3. Sprinkle with cheese
Note: Boysenberries would also be delicious with this recipe.